Business License - Folkston
Applying for a Business License
- City Ordinance Section 7-1-2 requires all businesses conducting transactions inside the city limits of Folkston to have a business license
- Applicants must apply in person at Folkston City Hall
- Appropriate identification and documents listed on application must be presented before license will be issued
- Fees are accessed according to the number of employees
- Business licenses are renewed annually and a 10% penalty is added after January 31st
This is to inform you of changes in state law that affect businesses in the City of Folkston and the procedure for new license:
- Georgia Law, O.C.G.A. 50-36-1, requires any applicant for public benefits, such as a new Business License/Occupational Tax Certificate, to execute a signed and sworn affidavit verifying the applicant's lawful presence in the United States. Renewals must include a signed and sworn affidavit verifying the applicant's lawful presence in the United States. Renewals must include a signed and notarized affidavit each year.
- The affidavit is with the application. It must be signed and notarized and included with your completed application. Also, at least one secure and verifiable document, as required by O.C.G.A. 50-36-1(e)(1), must be included with the affidavit.
- The following are acceptable secure and verifiable documents: valid driver's license issued by any state or any United States territory, a United States Permanent Resident Card or a U.S. Passport.
- Any application for a new or renewal of a Business License/Occupation Tax Certificate that does not include the signed, notarized affidavit and at least one secure and verifiable document, will not be processed.
- O.C.G.A. 50-36-1(f) provides that for any applicant who has executed an affidavit that he or she is an alien lawfully present in the United States, eligibility for public benefits shall be made through Systematic Alien Verification Entitlement (SAVE) Program and until such eligibility verification is made, the affidavit may be presumed to be proof of lawful presence for purposes of the Georgia Security and Immigration Compliance Act (GSICA).
- If you have any questions, call 912-496-2563
- City ordinance requires all solicitors to apply with the City of Folkston for a Peddler's License.
- A peddler is any person who engages in the practice of going door-to-door, along any street or in any parking lot or other areas within the city limits of Folkston, selling or taking orders for goods, merchandise, wares or other items of value for immediate or future delivery of a service or product.
- The fee for a Peddler's License is $100 per day.
- Any person who engages in soliciting without complying with the application and licensing requirements of this ordinance or who otherwise fail to comply with the provisions of this ordinance is chargeable with a violation and may upon conviction be fined a maximum of $500 per violation.
City of Folkston
541 First St.
Folkston, GA 31537
Phone: 912-496-2563Fax: 912-496-3844
Authorization Date: August 1, 2008
Hours of OperationMonday - Friday
8 a.m. until 5 p.m.
Leonard H. "Pender" LloydCity Manager
Darlene WilliamsonCity Clerk
Marion G. Davis, Jr.Mayor Pro-Tem